How we care for our environment
We are passionate about respecting and protecting New Zealand’s natural and physical resources we depend on, and take a proactive approach to address our environmental issues.
The experience of our farmers and the wealth of knowledge of our environmental team means we can pull together to find new ways to meet or exceed key stakeholders’ expectations to reduce the environmental impacts of our daily business operations.
Alliance has robust procedures and programmes in place which target areas to achieve specific environmental outcomes. Additionally, we embrace new technology and communicate with our shareholders, employees, customers, suppliers and communities to inform and educate about our environmental policy and programmes.
Who we work with
As part of our commitment to protect the environment, we work closely with business partners, customers and local communities to collaborate on projects to develop environmental solutions that respond to local needs. Our stakeholders include:
- Central government
- Regional councils
- Fish and Game NZ Council
- Department of Conservation (DOC)
- EECA (Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority)
- Local Iwi groups
- Neighbouring communities
Alliance contributes to a more sustainable future by fulfilling its commitment to continual environmental improvement.
- Greater than 20% reduction in processing energy use since 2000 and greater than 20% reduction in water use since 2007 per unit of production across the co-operative
- 98% reduction in discharged phosphorous from the Mataura plant
- A new rendering plant at Lorneville in 2013 has reduced Alliance’s electricity use by approximately 1.5 million kilowatt hours, and its lignite use by approximately 9,000 tonnes per year
- The Mataura plant generates almost 20% of the electricity it needs from its own hydro-generation plant
- The Pukeuri plant commenced disinfecting its discharged waste stream in 2013
- The new rendering plant at Lorneville incorporated best practice odour control systems, and is considered to be one of the best examples in Australasia
Dannevirke: Undertaking a project to replace all its lighting with low energy, longer life light bulbs to reduce its energy use.
Levin: Uses the least water per production unit of all the Alliance plants – and is undertaking a project that has already reduced its water used by 28% and on completion is expected to reduce water use by a further 10%.
Nelson: Targeted fuel savings projects reduced its fuel consumption per production unit by more than 30%.
Smithfield: Has worked with the local council to enable a walking track (Hector’s Coastal Track) to traverse Smithfield property along its coastal boundary.
Pukeuri: Disinfected its wastestream to significantly reducing the pathogens discharged to the receiving waterway.
Mataura: The plant generates almost 20% of the electricity it needs from its own hydro-generation plant.
Lorneville: New rendering plant has significantly reduced Alliance’s energy consumption and has a state of the art odour control system.
Alliance is invested in measures to further lift our plants’ environmental performance.
- We have invested in our Smithfield plant to upgrade its odour control systems and reduce wastewater pollutants
- Following audits of our processing plants, a range of projects are developed from the audit outcomes. Current projects target hot water optimisation, energy efficient lighting and heat recovery
- We have committed to a multi-million dollar wastewater treatment upgrade at our Lorneville plant that will deliver a 75% reduction in nitrogen and a 45% reduction in phosphorus in the treated wastewater and disinfection before it is discharged
Our environmental policy is based on our commitment to improve our performance across the business for the long term benefit of the environment. Alliance Group is proud to be ISO 14001 certified (the internationally recognised environmental management standard).
- In implementing our policy we integrate environmental management into our daily business activities. Compliance with all applicable environmental rules is very important to us
- To ensure our actions are effective, we have robust systems and procedures in place. By measuring, monitoring and reviewing all aspects of our programme, we drive the company-wide culture of continually improving our environmental performance
- We look to optimise our use of all resources including energy, water, packaging and chemicals, and embrace the use of new technology. In doing so we reduce wastage and minimise our impact on the environment
- We engage with our communities on environmental matters
To read our policy in full, click here.
If you have any queries, please contact us.